Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Sweet and Sour Tempeh



Ingredients

250 g tempeh
1 cup vegetable stock
3 Tbs tamari
2 Tbs oil
1 can pineapple chunks (400 g)
2 green peppers
1 onion
1 Tbs honey
2 Tbs maizena
1/4 cup vinegar


Directions

Cut tempeh into thin cubes of 2 cm. Add the vegetable stock and tamari and let it cook for 10 minutes.

Drain tempeh, reserving liquid for sauce. Heat a skillet and fry tempeh in the oil until lightly browned.

Drain the pineapple chunks, adding the liquid to the sauce. Add sliced pepper and onion and bring to boiling point and let it cook for one minute. Drain.

Put liquid from tempeh and pineapple juice into a measuring cup and add enough water to make 2 cups. Bring to a boil. Stir in the honey. Dissolve the maizena in the vinegar and pour it into the sauce while stirring vigorously. Cook until thickened and bubbly. Then add peppers, onion, pineapple and tempeh. Serve with hot rice.

Total servings: 6

Source: Sweet and Sour Tempeh

No comments:

Post a Comment