Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Monday, June 14, 2010

Stuffed Peppers


Ingredients

250 g tempeh, cut in small cubes
4 bell peppers, green or red
1 1/2 cups water
4 Tbs tamari
5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1/2 cup bread crumbs


Directions

Preheat oven to 170°C. Parboil the peppers 5 minutes in water. Cool under cold water. Core the peppers, discarding stalks, seeds and skin.

Combine tempeh, tamari and water and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl. Add the basil and garlic. Mash the tempeh with the back of a spoon.

Fill the peppers with tempeh mixture and place in a oiled baking dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and cover the stuffed peppers with oil.

Bake the stuffed peppers for 25 minutes in an oven at 170°C. Finally broil for a few minutes or until top is brown. Serve the stuffed peppers hot with rice.

Total servings: 4


Source: Stuffed Peppers


No comments:

Post a Comment