Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Korean Fried Zucchini (Hobak Jun)

A delicious and healthy Korean side dish, Hobak Jun (or Jeon) is easy to prepare and goes well with almost every Korean meal. The zucchini is coated in a thin batter of flour and egg, sauteed on both sides, and served with soy sauce for dipping.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Serves 4 as a side dish

Ingredients

1 medium-large zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch coins
1/2 Cup Flour
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp salt
1-2 Tbsp vegetable or olive oil (for saute pan)

Directions

1. Distribute 1 tsp salt over zucchini slices.

2. Add remaining 1 tsp salt to beaten egg.

3. Put flour and egg in separate shallow dishes next to stove.

4. Heat lightly greased saute pan to medium heat.

5. Coat zucchini coins first with flour, and then dip and coat with beaten egg and place into pan.

6. Saute zucchini for about 3-4 minutes per side, turning once, or until they are a light golden brown.

* You can serve with the basic or spicy dipping sauces or nothing at all.


No comments:

Post a Comment