Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Cheesy Tomato Basil Chicken Breasts


Ingredients

3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
2 medium (2 cups) tomatoes, cubed 1-inch
1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
6 (6 ounces each) boneless skinless chicken breasts


Topping Ingredients

3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons butter, melted
6 ounces (1 1/2 cups) mozzarella cheese, shredded


Directions

1. Heat oven to 350°F. In 13x9-inch baking pan melt 3 tablespoons butter in oven (4 to 6 minutes).

2. Meanwhile, in medium bowl stir together all remaining sauce ingredients; set aside.

3. Place chicken in baking pan, turning to coat with butter.

4. Spoon sauce mixture over chicken. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.

5. In small bowl stir together crumbs, parsley and butter. Sprinkle chicken with cheese; sprinkle with topping mixture.

6. Continue baking for 5 to 10 minutes or until bread crumbs are browned.




No comments:

Post a Comment