Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Saturday, June 19, 2010

Chicken dishes

Chicken is a very good source of protein. It is low in saturated fat if you avoid the skin. The leanest part of the chicken is the breast. Here are some yummy recipes that use skinless chicken breasts.

Asian Chicken Noodle Salad


Ingredients

1 (3 ounce) package ramen noodle pasta, crushed

2 tablespoons butter, melted
1/2 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup pine nuts
3 cups shredded bok choy
5 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup diced, cooked chicken breast meat
1 (5 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained
12 pods snow peas
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/4 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice


Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a large bowl, mix the noodles, sunflower seeds, and pine nuts with melted butter until evenly coated.

3. Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet.

4. Bake 7 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until evenly toasted.

5. Remove from heat, and cool slightly.

6. In a large bowl toss together the noodle mixture, bok choy, green onions, chicken, water chestnuts, and snow peas.

7. Prepare the dressing by blending the oil, vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, and lemon juice. Pour over salad, and toss to evenly coat.


No comments:

Post a Comment