Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Korean dishes

Below are just a few of the Korean dishes that I was able to enjoy during my six-month sojourn in South Korea. I never cease to marvel at the variety of side dishes that Koreans serve at every meal. Of course there is the ever-present kimchi, a fermented vegetable dish in so many variations. Kimchi is the most common side dish (banchan) in Korean cuisine. Now when I crave Korean food, I simply prepare kimchi fried rice.

Kimchi Fried Rice (Kimchi Bokumbap)

Kimchi Fried Rice (Bokumbap) is humble food that is mostly enjoyed at home, but you might also see it in some casual Korean eateries. At home, it's a great way to use leftover kimchi that's a bit past its prime. Quick, easy, and cheap to make, kimchi bokumbap is simple Korean home-cooking at its best.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Serves 4

Ingredients

1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped (preferably the kind made with Napa cabbage)
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp butter
1/3 cup thinly sliced beef, spam, pork, bacon, or ham (Optional)
3 cups cooked rice
Salt to taste
1 Fried egg for each serving

Directions

1. If using American bacon, saute briefly on an ungreased large pan and omit oil from next step. With any other meat or a vegetarian version, start with step #2.

2. Saute kimchi and onion in a lightly greased large pan over medium heat for a few minutes.

3. When vegetables begin to look transparent, add ½ Tbsp of butter, garlic, and soy sauce and saute for another 2-3 minutes.

4. Add meat or pork and continue to saute until the meat is cooked.

5. Turn heat off but keep pan on burner.

6. Add rice and rest of butter, mixing to combine.

7. Salt to taste and top with fried egg to serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment