Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Miagus (Lumanai)

Miagus (Lumanaja fluviatilis Blanco) or lumanai is a very characteristic species growing along small swift streams at low and medium altitudes, on banks and in stream beds. The leaves are used as poultice for skin diseases. It also possesses diuretic action and is thought to be helpful for those suffering from high blood pressure, high uric acid, gout, and those with kidney troubles and stones.

Botany

A gregarious shrub or small, crooked and twisted tree, 1-4 m tall, up to 10 cm in stem diameter, forming a woody, deep and extensive root system. Branches smooth to slightly grooved. Leaves alternate, simple; stipules keel-like, enlarged at base, 5-6 mm long, caducous; petiole 5-15 mm long, pubescent; blade narrowly lanceolate to oblong,

Uses

· Food: Leaves are eaten as a vegetable in the Philippines.

· Medicine: Miagus provides a number of popular local medicines. In Laos, a decoction of the leaves is used against itches. In Cambodia, the stems and leaves are applied as a purgative, whereas an infusion of the wood is used against malaria and scabies. In Java, leaves were used to blacken teeth and to fix loose ones. The pounded leaves and sometimes fruits are applied as a poultice against skin diseases in Malaysia, Thailand and Cambodia. A decoction of the leaves and fruits is similarly effective.

· Lipids: Young shoots and leaves are a component of a hair oil in Cambodia.

Source: Miagus (Lumanaja fluviatilis Blanco)


2 comments:

  1. Hi ,

    your symptoms sound exactly like what I had..it's wheat. I stopped all wheat, no more inflammation, no more arthritis...gone, oh I should mention I have been a vegetarian for 15 years, the last six months I have been Vegan. I will never eat anything with wheat...ever, nor meat for that matter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello,

      that's really interesting. i have lessened my consumption of bread; i still eat meat occasionally and in moderation.i am happy to report that i have not had inflammation episodes for several months now!

      Delete