Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Thursday, July 15, 2010

EJ's Favorite Fish Pouches for Mom


Ingredients

  • 4 (6-ounce) skinless fish fillets, such as snapper, black bass, or bronzino
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Emeril's Italian Essence, or other dried Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
  • 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, thinly sliced
  • 1 lemon, thinly sliced
  • 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Halved and pitted kalamata olives, optional

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Season the fish fillets on both sides lightly with salt and pepper.

On a work surface, lay out 6 (15-inch) square pieces of aluminum foil. Divide the onion and tomato slices evenly among the centers of the foil squares and season lightly with salt, pepper, and Italian Essence. Place 1 fish fillet over the top of each mound of vegetables and sprinkle the tops of the fillets with the Italian Essence. Divide the lemon slices among the fillets. Drizzle each fillet with 1 1/2 tablespoons of the olive oil, and sprinkle with kalamata olives, if desired. Fold foil pouches up carefully, sealing tightly on all edges, and place pouches on a large baking sheet. Bake the pouches until fillets are just cooked through and the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately. Be careful to avoid the hot steam when opening the pouches.

No comments:

Post a Comment