Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Chicken, Broccoli Rabe & Feta on Toast



Ingredients

4 thick slices whole-wheat country bread
  • 1 clove garlic, peeled (optional), plus 1/4 cup chopped garlic
  • 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
  • 1 pound chicken tenders, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 bunch broccoli rabe, stems trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces,
  • (or 2 bunches broccolini, chopped)
  • 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste
  • 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese

Directions

1. Grill or toast bread. Lightly rub with peeled garlic clove, if desired. Discard the garlic.

2. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over high heat until shimmering but not smoking. Add chicken; cook, stirring occasionally, until just cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the chicken and any juices to a plate; cover to keep warm.

3. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan. Add chopped garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant but not brown, about 30 seconds. Add broccoli rabe (or broccolini) and cook, stirring often, until bright green and just wilted, 2 to 4 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, vinegar, salt and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes are beginning to break down, 2 to 4 minutes. Return the chicken and juices to the pan, add feta cheese and stir to combine. Cook until heated through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve warm over garlic toasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment