Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Monday, July 5, 2010

Escarole & White Bean Soup


Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
  • 1/4 cup chopped garlic
  • 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning, or 1 tablespoon each chopped fresh basil and oregano
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 2 14-ounce cans vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 2 15-ounce cans cannellini beans, rinsed
  • 1 head escarole*, chopped
  • 1/2 cup freshly shredded hard Italian cheese, such as Parmesan, Romano or Asiago
* If you can't find it, substitute a 10-ounce bag of spinach.

Directions

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes, celery, carrot, garlic, Italian seasoning and pepper and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are beginning to soften and the onion is translucent, about 10 minutes. Add broth, bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender. Stir in beans and escarole and cook, stirring often, until the escarole is just tender, about 5 minutes. Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment