Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Chickpeas (Cicer arietinum)


Chickpeas (aka garbanzo beans) are high in protein and is a good substitute for red meat. They are also high in fiber and can help lower cholesterol and improve blood sugar levels. Garbanzos are also high in minerals (like iron, copper, zinc, and magnesioum). They also provide a good source of molybdenum, a trace mineral needed for the body’s sulfite detoxification mechanism. (Note: Sulfites are preservatives commonly used in wines and processed meats.)

Hummus is a popular Middle Eastern dip that is usually served with pita bread; it also makes a great healthy snack when seved with vegetable sticks (like carrots, celery). Tahini is an important ingredient of hummus; tho it cannot be substituted, it can be omitted. So you can prepare hummus with or without tahini (Source). 




Here’s another chickpea dip you may want to try; it incorporates yogurt.


Garbanzo Dip on FoodistaGarbanzo Dip

No comments:

Post a Comment