Why did I start this blog? I have been having episodes of inflammation in my hands and fingers, feet and toes, and joints for some time now. I’ve consulted the doctor and have had tests done. It’s not rheumatoid arthritis and my uric acid is normal (tho at times borderline normal). In an effort to determine which food triggers the inflammation, I have been systematically eliminating certain foods from my diet and then bringing them back. After several years, I have now come to the conclusion that I seem to be reacting to animal protein in general (like some sort of allergic reaction). Different animal proteins affect me to different degrees; some cause inflammation faster than others. So I have decided to reduce my intake of meat. No, I am not going vegetarian; maybe semi-vegetarian if there is such a thing. I will be adding interesting and not too difficult recipes here as I find them. I will also include arthritis management tips that have worked for me.

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tofu with Steak Sauce and Onions


Ingredients

1 package firm or extra firm tofu, well pressed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, sliced
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp steak sauce
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp flour

Directions

Slice tofu into 5 or 6 strips about 1/2 inch thick.
Sautee onions in olive oil until they turn brown and begin to carmelize, then add tofu and allow to cook until lightly golden brown.
Add balsamic vinegar and steak sauce and stir to combine.
Next add the water and flour and whisk to combine.
Allow to cook until the sauce thickens.
Serve over rice if desired.

Source: Tofu with Steak Sauce and Onions


Tofu on Foodista

No comments:

Post a Comment